The textbook is Markets for Managers by Anthony J. Evans (Wiley, 2014).
I wrote it specifically for this course and all students are advised to read it in conjunction with the lectures. In addition, the website provides a number of interactive features including videos. More details are here: http://www.marketsformanagers.com.
The final exam will be based on discussion questions.
There are plenty of other good textbooks on the market. I also recommend Managerial Economics by Luke M. Froeb, Brian T. McCann, Michael R. Ward and Mikhael Shor (Thomson Southwestern 3rd edition, 2013) and A Concise Guide to Macroeconomics by David Moss (Harvard Business School Press, 2007).
- Video: Removing The Traffic Lights
- Further reading: Steele, Jeffrey, “The Origins of EVA”, Chicago Booth Magazine, Summer 1998
4. Comparative statics – group work
5. Price discrimination [Evans Ch.4.3] – Group Work
Read through the following Twitter thread: https://twitter.com/anthonyjevans/status/993918866186297349
Choose one of the tweets and use it as the basis to apply some microeconomic theory. Make assumptions and perform calculations where necessary.
Price Discrimination – Debrief
6. Monetary policy*
- Video: Economic Prediction, January 2018
- Video: “An introduction to the Dynamic AD-AS model“, September 2014
- Video: “The four-fold path to monetary credibility“, July 2016
- Video: “Optimal Currency Areas“, March 2017
7. Monetary policy II
“The Euro in Crisis: Decision Time at the European Central Bank” Harvard Business School case no. 9-711-049
The ECB During the Crisis, May 2016
8. Fiscal policy*
- Video: The Great Depression, February 2019
- Video: Part 1: The First 100 Days of “Inside Obama’s White House” BBC2 (iPlayer)
- Video: Hank Paulson: What I Could Have Done Differently (US Netflix)
- Video: “Fear the Boom and Bust“: Keynes vs. Hayek Rap Battle
- Video: “Fight of the Century“: Keynes vs. Hayek Rap Battle Round Two
- Audio: “Donald Kohn on Fed policy from the 1970s to today” Macro Musings (from 33:00 – 43:08)
9. Fiscal policy II
10. Macro Policy Workshop
11. Probability theory
Krasker, William, “Freemark Abbey Winery”, Harvard Business School Case No. 9-181-027, March 24th 1994 (£)
Evans, Anthony J., “Taxi for Professor Evans” June 2018
- Seeing Theory: Statistical Inference
Evans, Anthony J., “The Suitcase Case” June 2018
- Seeing Theory: Linear Regression
14. QM case workshop
15. Review session
Sessions marked with an asterix (*) have a lecture handout available in advance, which can be downloaded.
Cases marked with a pound sign (£) are available through the Programme Office.